Lavender essential oil is undoubtedly one of the most used essential oil, and that is due to its benefits in Skin, Hair, physical health, emotional health and for other aromatherapy uses. It’s found out that the benefits of Lavender oil (1) were discovered over 25 centuries ago. It has beauty and therapeutic benefits and this is why the oil has been used since ages, even by the ancient people. The oil is rich in antioxidant, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and anti-depressant properties. This is the reason this is an extremely popular essential oil.
We’ll be discussing the benefits of lavender essential oil and how exactly, you have to use this oil to achieve those benefits. The section is divided into three different parts, in the first part, I’ll tell you about the Lavender oil for your skin then your hair and then lavender oil uses like for therapeutic uses. Here are the best lavender oils in India, if you would like to know.
Before, that if you are wondering, whether you can apply Lavender oil directly on your skin. I would suggest even though the oil is safe, yet you should generally not apply the oil directly on the skin rather you should add or dilute the oil along with some carrier oil or water is needed. Applying a drop on forehead for headache relief is still acceptable.
Lavender Essential Oil Benefits for Skin
1. Acne and pimples
As per the Dermatologists, lavender essential oil is highly beneficial in the treatment of acne and pimples. Acne is not only just faced by teenagers, but it is also a problem faced frequently by young adults. Application of pure Lavender oil inhibits the bacterial growth and decreases the Inflammation of swollen pimples. Using Lavender oil also gets rid of the scarring on the skin due to pimples.
How to use:
- Take half teaspoon of castor oil and mix 3 drops of Lavender oil.
- Using the Q-tip apply it over the acne and leave for overnight.
- Do this daily and it will help clear the acne soon.
2. Wrinkles and lines
Lavender oil is an excellent moisturizer for your skin. It increases blood circulation and improves the cell renewal of the skin. It increases the collagen and elastin protein synthesis to smoothen wrinkles. Application of the oil regularly gives a boost of moisture in the skin. It’s helpful for mature skin which is very dehydrated. The antioxidants present in Lavender oil also help in fighting the free radicals on the skin that results in aging of cell.
How to use:
- In your regular night cream, add 2-3 drops of Lavender oil.
- Mix and apply on the skin.
- Massage the face gently using the upward stroke.
- Do this daily and get the benefits.
You can also apply Lavender oil directly on the skin but by mixing it along with few drops of pure sweet almond oil. This can be massaged on the skin and left for overnight. You can also apply coconut oil, if your skin is dry and aging.
As Lavender oil is antiseptic in nature and also has anti inflammatory properties, it helps in treating Eczema which is a skin condition. This oil is used for treating various skin disorders like Psoriasis and Eczema. This also works on the Jock Itch.
How to use:
- Take half teaspoonful of chamomile oil, add three to four drops of lavender essential oil. Mix and apply this over the skin affected by Eczema, the application should be gentle. Do this regularly, it will clear the infection soon.
4. Sun spots and dark spots
As Lavender oil is a good emollient for the skin, it also fades the dark spots, sun spots and even the sun tanning that we face during the summer season. A lot of young boys and girls and people who love to spend time on beach would come across the problem of excessive sun tanning.
How to apply:
- For this you just need two things, one is lavender essential oil and the second is coconut oil.
- Mix these in the ratio 4:1 and apply over the dark spots.
- Leave for overnight.
- You will soon notice that spots are getting lighter in appearance.
5. Homemade Lip Balm
Mix 2 spoons of coconut oil and 3 spoons of shredded beeswax.Warm them up and add 2-4 drops of lavender oil. This is the best moisturizing homemade lips balm with lavender oil.
Lavender Essential Oil Benefits for Hair
Now in this section, we will be talking about how you can use lavender essential oil for hair care. You might have seen this oil been used by the big brands in their hair care products like shampoo, conditioners, oils, serum and many more.
6. For Hair Growth:
Lavender essential oil is widely known to stimulate hair growth. According to various researchers and studies, it has been found out that Lavender oil helps you grow longer and thicker hair. As compared with application of Lavender oil on your scalp versus not applying this oil can show you immense difference the way your hair looks. It has been established by various research even. (2)
How to use:
- In a little bowl, take 2 tbsp of almond oil, 2 tablespoon of coconut oil, half teaspoon of lavender essential oil.
- Mix them and apply on your scalp at night.
- Massage should be luxurious and longer.
- Massaging should be done for minimum of 10 to 15 minutes to increase the circulation of blood in your scalp.
- Do this treatment at least two to three times in a week to fetch the maximum benefits in getting good hair growth.
- The next day you can wash your hair like usual with your normal shampoo.
- You can also put few drops of lavender essential oil in your herbal shampoo for hair growth.
7. Dandruff and Scalp Itching:
Lavender oil is loaded with the antibacterial and antifungal properties, therefore, this oil is bound to give you dandruff free hair. By applying the oil on your scalp you can make sure that the dandruff infection gets eliminated faster and doesn’t come back. Do you know that due to dandruff your hair can also get brittle and weaker from the roots? Yes, this is so true that when you have dandruff, you can also experience the hair fall in clumps due to dandruff. When you apply this oil on your scalp, it also minimize hair fall from the roots due to dandruff.
How to use
- Take one fourth cup of castor oil.
- Mix 1 teaspoon full of Lavender oil in it and also add two to three drops of tea tree oil.
- Mix and nicely apply on your scalp.
- Application should be gentle and not aggressive as it will make you lose more hair.
- Apply this at night and wash in the morning.
- Try to perform this standard treatment at least two times in a week to get dandruff free smooth and lustrous hair.
8. Head Lice:
Lavender oil also helps you prevention of head lice. Yes, this is a common problem that is seen in kids and adults. By using this, all you can surely get a free of life. Because of the lice, kids also find it very difficult to concentrate on your studies due to constant itching.
How to use
- Take 2 tablespoonfuls of coconut oil.
- And add 1/2 teaspoonful of Lavender oil and 5 to 6 drops of tea tree oil.
- Apply this on the scalp and hair at night.
- Do this two to three times in a week.
- And within two to three weeks, you will see that lice infestation has been eliminated.
9. Hair Serum:
Lavender oil is rich in scalp and hair moisturizing properties. This oil is a good moisturizer or you can say a good serum for your hair. It smoothens the hair cuticle and also prevents the sun damage. You can use Lavender oil as a hair serum to get frizz free and shiny hair.
How to use
- Take 2 teaspoonful of Argan oil, 8-7 drops of Lavender oil.
- Mix and apply on the hair on your semi-dried or towel dried hair.
- This homemade lavender oil serum will definitely give you beautiful smooth and rich looking hair.
10. Hair Mask for Growth:
You can also try a lavender hair mask to improve the growth of hair and hair texture. This oil maximizes the sign and decreases the hair fall.
How to make?
- To make this lavender hair mask, you will need to three things, i.e. Avocado, Almond Oil and Lavender Oil. Take one avocado and mash it.
- You can also put it in the grinder so that paste can be achieved.
- Add 2 tablespoonful of sweet almond oil.
- Mix them thoroughly and add 4 to 5 drops of lavender essential oil.
- Mix again and make sure everything is blended up will.
- Section the hair and apply this on your hair.
- Try to cover all the hair strands and scalp.
- Let this hair growth booster mask work for at least two hours and then you can proceed with your regular shampoo.
11. Dry and Damaged hair:
Dryness, roughness and damage is quite a problem that is due to chemical treatments, UV rays and overexposure of Sunlight. This dryness and damage can be reversed if you use the right treatment and take care of your hair timely.
How to use
- Take one cup of coconut milk.
- Add half teaspoonful of Lavender oil mix and apply on your hair generously.
- Apply some on the scalp and hair cap.
- Wash your hair after 2 hours.
- This moisturizing mask will reduce the damage and gives and gives you frizz free hair.
- This is how you can use Lavender oil for your dry and damaged hair.
So, this is who you use lavender oil for hair care and to get rid of the common hair problems.
Now in this next section, I’ll be sharing, how you can use lavender essential oil for other therapeutic and Home uses.
Lavender Oil Uses for Health and Home
12. Supports Brain Functioning:
Studies conducted have found out that lavender essential oil can help fight the oxidative stress due to free radicals and improvement in the cognitive impairment. It relaxes you your senses and improves mood. Inhalation of this oil has relaxing effects on autonomous nervous system. (3)
How to use
You can either put diffuser near your bedside or you can also apply few drops of Lavender oil behind the ears, over the temples, shoulders, and over the rest.
13. Relieve Headache:
In the neurological studies it has been found out that people who was struggling with migraine headache and sinus, have experienced significant reduction in the pain, when they inhaled lavender essential oil continuously for 10 to 15 minutes.
How to use
- To get relief from headache, you just have to inhale the Lavender oil for 10 to 15 minutes.
- For that you can just keep a diffuser or just the bottle of Lavender oil along with you.
14. Menstrual Cramps:
Women experiencing menstrual cramps have also found that application of Lavender oil helps relieve the cramping and pain associated with it. Application of few drops of Lavender oil on the abdomen below the navel helps reduce the cramping pain.
15. Insomnia Cure:
People struggling with sleep disturbance and insomnia have shared their experiences that using Lavender oil or sniffing it, helps sleep better and peacefully. You too can get the benefits of this oil for sleep aid. You just have to rub a drop of Lavender oil on your palms and apply a drop over your pillow. You can also inhale some Lavender oil to make you calm down. It’s one of the best uses of lavender oil for sleep related problems, using it for aromatherapy.
16. Minor Cuts and Burns :
In our day to day life, minor cuts and burns are inevitable. While working in the kitchen, garden or at home you are bound to get those minor things. Application of Lavender oil can help stop the bleeding and give the relief and soothing on the burnt area. You can just put 2-3 drops of lavender essential oil on your minor burns and same can be done over the cuts.
A lot of kids and adults, face the problem of nose bleeding, it is also very common during the summer season. To stop nose bleed immediately, you can put a drop of Lavender oil on a cotton cloth and wrap that cloth around an ice cube. Put that covered ice cube between the nose and lips and keep it as long as you can. This will help to reduce the nosebleed and would stop it eentually.
18. Reducing the Pains:
Lavender essential oil is a wonderful anti-allergic and analgesic product. It is an effective pain reliever that can help relieve mild to moderate pain like the pain seen in osteoarthritis, neck and back pain, and joint pain. Put few drops of lavender essential oil along with jojoba oil and massage the area where you are experiencing pain.
19. For Relaxation:
Lavender oil is known to relax and spot your senses. The oil helps to calm down your senses and reduce anxiety as be mentioned. Therefore, while you’re bathing, add 4-5 drops of lavender essential oil in the bath water, using this water to bath will help you get relaxation after a tiring day. It will help you sleep better at night as well.
20. Stress Reduction:
Lavender oil has been associated in decreasing the stress, anxiety and depression. According to that various researches, Lavender oil has this ability to safeguard against the neurological damage. So in order to treat neurological issues at home, you can definitely use lavender essential oil. This oil helps alleviating anxiety insomnia, depression, nervousness and sleep disturbance. In fact, it can also be used to balance the chakras of your body.
How to use
- To relieve stress and anxiety, you can put a diffuser in your room with Lavender oil.
- Or you can also apply lavender essential oil on your temples.
- Behind your ears and some on the chest as well.
- This will help relax and calm you down.
Lavender Oil for Home Uses:
It can be used in the diffuser to keep the room and atmosphere fresh. Moreover, it also detoxifies the air by killing some of the airborne pathogens.
By using this oil in the diffuser, you can utilize as a room freshener and for getting aromatherapy benefits.
Other than that, you can also expect to elevate mood and cure mood swings as well. In fact, a lot of people use it for emotional benefits but the results are less effective.
No after that it is also important that you know the side effects of Lavender oil.
Though, Lavender oil it is generally considered safe for pregnant women, kids and otherwise but still if you have allergies or skin treatments or issues like skin irritation, then you need to stay away from it. The oil is not meant to be ingested. It is meant only for topical use only.
If you are taking nervous system sedatives or antidepressants then you should be cautious in using this oil. If after applying this oil your skin condition worsens, then you need to immediately stop using and seek medical help.
If you have got sensitive skin then use of this oil directly on your skin may not be good, rather you can use a carrier oil. The safest carrier oil with Lavender oil is Coconut Oil, Olive Oil or Almond Oil.